FIFA World Cup Germany 2006

The FIFA World Cup 2006 was the most exciting and brilliant tournament in football history: passion, accion and goals. Get all the reports, matches, news, photos and videos every minute. Germany 2006 is here!

HOME             PHOTO GALLERY              STADIUMS              GROUPS & SCHEDULE              LATEST NEWS


Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Zidane thoughts about retirement

Share |

France greatest player Zinedine Zidane will retire after the World Cup.

It's interesting to notice that the Real Madrid player will celebrate his 34th birthday during the finals in Germany, and he said yesterday: "I have to listen to my body and I cannot carry on for another year."

The player cited Real Madrid's poor season as another reason for calling it a day. "I think it is better to clarify the situation now," he admitted. "It may seem strange that I am announcing it now, two weeks before the end of the championship, but this is a decision I have seriously reflected on, and one I had to make before the World Cup.

"When you do not accomplish your objectives, you ask yourself questions. I know I cannot play better than I have up until now.

"In fact, I am at an age where it is getting more and more difficult. I do not want to have another year like the one I have just had."

It's very likely that the injuries and inconsistency that have dogged him over the past two seasons have also influenced his decision. However, he knows he still has another year left on his contract.

He wants to focus on the World Cup in Germany to win the title - "my last objective" - and give Real Madrid time to find a replacement in his position.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home